Monday, February 13, 2012

A Night at the Theatre


A few nights ago, I had the opportunity to see the musical Les Misérables (also lovingly referred to as "Les Miz").  Les Miz happens to be my favorite musical of all time.  Which is really saying something considering I have seen a lot.  Les Miz only tours about every 4 years and I am always looking forward to the next time I am able to see it.  We had amazing seats... 4th row, center.

I snapped this photo of the on-stage screen during intermission.
The musical, based on Victor Hugo's novel of the same name, is currently celebrating it's 25th Anniversary and is currently the longest running musical in the world (so it must be good, right?).  The play has been translated into 21 languages, productions have been played in 43 countries and in over 300 cities, it has played over 47,000 professional performances, and has won 70 major theatre awards including an Olivier, Tony & Grammy.  For those of you who haven't heard of Les Miz, the musical follows the life of Jean Valjean, a convict, who turns his life around after serving 19 years in prison.  He refuses to report for parole, and spends his life evading the capture of the Inspector Javert.  I feel that this play has something for everyone, love stories (including a fascinating love triangle), action (it takes place during the French Revolution), comedy, and so much more.  I absolutely love the music and dancing.  I always find it fascinating how so many scenes and events are adapted to the stage.  If you would like to find out more, visit LesMis.com.

I am also super excited that the movie adaptation of the musical Les Miz will be released this December!  So excited!!!  The cast includes Amanda Seyfried, Hugh Jackman, Anne Hathaway, Russell Crowe, Sacha Baron Cohen, and more.  Side note: There is already a movie of the book version (starring Liam Neeson), but the new one will be a musical.

And just because I am so in love with this musical, I thought I would share a video of one of my favorite songs, On My Own, sang by the character Éponine.  Fun fact: This version was sang by Samantha Barks who will be playing Éponine in the movie!


Dang, I wish I could sing like that!  I could add more videos of songs that I love for the musical, but that would create a very lengthy post. ;)

All in all, it was a fabulous night!  If Les Misérables visits a town near you, I highly recommend you go to see it!  If you have seen Les Mis, I would love to hear what you thought of it.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment