Monday, October 3, 2011

Happy October!



I know I'm a few days late, but happy October everyone!  I love October because it is (in my opinion) the official start of the holiday season.  This month we have many birthdays in my family and Halloween, of course.  Next month is Thanksgiving, and then the day after Thanksgiving is my official start of the Christmas season.  But more on that later.

This weekend was wonderful.  My husband and I went back to his hometown to visit.  His sister and her kids were visiting as well so it was a lot of fun!  We also had the opportunity to visit with some of our friends who we have missed very much since we moved.  We were so busy, bouncing around from place to place, but we enjoyed every minute of it.  Not to mention the weather was ah-mazing!!!

Today is a very special day.  It's Travis' birthday!  Sadly, he had to work so we couldn't spend the entire day together, but we were able to celebrate.  It amazes me how far we have come since his birthday last year.  For those of you who don't know, Travis was deployed last year.  It was a hard time for us, but we made it though.  As he was eating the birthday cake I baked for him today he mentioned that on his birthday last year he was eating cake out of a jar.  Now I know what you are thinking, "Cake out of a jar?!?!  What?!?!"  I believe that everyone should have cake on their birthday.  Deployed soldiers are no exception.  I found a recipe online for baking cakes in mason jars and directions how to seal them.  I packaged them up neatly with a can of frosting and shipped them overseas.  I remember that Travis enjoyed getting them.  It was a nice surprise.  Since then, Travis came home, we got married, and he moved from his hometown to the city to be with me.  The past year has brought many changes for us, but we are loving every minute of it.

Now that it is October I decided to get started on making some Halloween decorations to make our apartment a little more festive.  Look for my post tomorrow with pictures of my creations!

2 comments:

  1. Omg how cute! Thank you for sharing that adorable story on the birthday cake in a jar! That'll be a bittersweet memory you'll be sharing for years to come!
    Super cute post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel! It is definitely a bittersweet memory. We have a lot of those from deployment. As difficult as it was to be apart for so long, I can say that it makes us appreciate our time together. :)

    ReplyDelete