Thursday, May 3, 2012

Wisdom Teeth

I went to the dentist back in December for the first time since high school.  The good news was that I didn't have any cavities.  The bad news was that I had four impacted wisdom teeth that needed to be removed as soon as possible.  Even worse was that due to my school schedule and some insurance issues I had to wait 5 months until I was able to get them out.

Waiting for my surgery to begin.
I decided to get them out May 1st.  Since my classes finished the week before and my next classes don't start until May 14th, I decided it was the best time to have them out.  Being the paranoid person that I am I was completely stressed out prior to my surgery.  Thankfully I had an awesome oral surgeon who was very nice and helped put me at ease.  The last thing I remember before the surgery was the nurse putting giving me some of the laughing gas and telling me to take deep breaths.  I remember him walking out of the room, and because I was so loopy, I remember thinking to myself, "Now I know why people do drugs" then I began to giggle in a really creepy way.  The oral surgeon then gave me an IV and that is all I remember before the surgery.

Afterwards I woke up in the recovery room and I was feeling really good.  The radio was on in the room and a Backstreet Boys song came on, so naturally I began to sing... loudly.  Between the drugs and my mouth filled with gauze it sounded terrible.  My mom and the nurses thought I was hilarious though.  In fact, the nurse even turned up the radio for me since I enjoyed so much.  Haha.

I then sang along to the radio the entire way home.   The anesthesia hadn't fully worn off yet and I was in quite the singing mood. I love Lady Antebellum, so I had my mom play one of their songs for me on the drive home. I wasn't aware at the time that I was being filmed.  So now, I present to you my drugged up rendition of their song, "Just a Kiss."







Sadly, the drugs eventually wore off.  Haha.  The first night and morning after were really bad because the painkillers made me nauseous and I couldn't keep anything down.  The oral surgeon prescribed me some medicine to help with the nauseousness and that has helped tremendously.  On the first day I was told that I could only have cold soft foods.  As big as my sweet tooth is (excuse the cheesy joke) I got sick of sweet stuff pretty quickly.  On the second day I was able to start eating some warm foods and found that refried beans and melted cheese (basically the inside of a bean burrito) really hit the spot.  I have also found that coke Icees, and Jello Temptations are awesome soft foods.  I have been keeping ice packs on my face almost constantly and that seems to help with the pain too.

Besides the pain I have found that one of the downsides to having any type of surgery is being stuck in bed.  It gets kind of boring to be stuck in bed all day.  I'm hoping that I will be able to move around a little bit better tomorrow.  On the bright side, I have found that between my husband and my mother I am being well taken care of.  It is so nice to not have to worry about anything because they have taken care of everything for me.

Well, I guess I better go rest some more.  If you have gotten your wisdom teeth out and have any tips or suggestions, I would love to hear from you!  For those of you who may have to get your wisdom teeth out in the future, I will post my own tips and suggestions after I recover.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment