Sunday, January 22, 2012

Hospital Misadventures

Benadryl... my new BFF.
Let me start off by saying this weekend did not go as planned.

Friday night I ate dinner and watched a movie with my husband, then decided to call it a night.  My throat felt a little weird.  You know that feeling when your throat gets kind of dried out?  As much water as you drink, it still feels really weird.  Well that's the kind of feeling I had.  It has happened before so I didn't think much of it.  About an hour later, I was lying in bed not able to go to sleep because my throat felt so weird.  I went to the bathroom, looked at it in the mirror and found that my throat was swollen.  Really swollen.  Definitely not a good sign.  I started freaking out and woke up my poor husband because I wasn't really sure what to do.  We didn't have any Benadryl, but even if we did I thought that I may not be able to swallow a pill.  A few minutes later, I looked at my throat in the mirror again and saw that it was even more swollen, and I felt like I couldn't breathe as well as normal.  I, of course, was freaking out.  Thankfully I married a soldier who can remain calm in a stressful situation.  Travis decided to take me to the emergency room.

As usual, it was packed and we had to wait forever.  When I was finally able to be moved from the waiting room, I found that they were out of rooms, so I had to lay on a hospital bed pushed against the hallway wall.  The nurse had to run some blood tests, gave me an IV, and pumped 2 kinds of medicine into it for allergic reactions.  I have to add, it is extremely awkward to lay on a hospital bed, in a hospital gown with an IV in your arm in the middle of a busy hallway.  Not fun.  Then the doctor wanted to give me a CAT scan, leading to more medication being pumped into my IV.

We finally returned home at 3:40 AM (5 hours after we arrived at the ER).  My throat was almost back to normal.  It looks like I had an allergic reaction to something that I ate, although I still have no idea what it may be.  I think it may be a seasoning in the food that I ate, but I am not completely sure.  The doctor gave me 3 prescriptions to help with the reaction and to prevent infections and they seem to be working well.  The Benadryl definitely makes me feel more tired than usual.

Saturday I felt terrible all day and couldn't eat anything solid.  My throat was almost back to it's normal size, and felt tender.  Not to mention I was groggy from not sleeping much the night before combined with stress and Benadryl.  Thankfully I at least felt well enough to get some homework out of the way.  It stinks that even when I'm sick I still have to do homework.  That's college for ya. :/

Today I am feeling somewhat better.  I am trying to take it easy and hope that by tomorrow I'll be back to normal.  I have to add, I am so thankful that I have such a wonderful husband to take care of me when I'm sick! :)  He has taken such good care of me.  It is nice to not have to worry about anything when you're sick except resting.

Well, that's all for now.  I think I might relax on the couch for a bit and read a book I picked up from the library Friday morning.  Here's hoping you all are feeling well and that you have a great rest of your weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment